SABBATICAL SET FOR Oct. 17 – Jan. 21
Originally planned for this past spring, sabbatical had to be postponed due to Pastor Carol breaking her arm in February. Now she has healed after surgery and the necessary adjustments in the schedule and budget have been approved by the Lilly Endowment Clergy Renewal Grant, which is funding the sabbatical activities for both the pastor and church members. New dates for sabbatical are October 17, 2016, through January 21, 2017. Our “Navigator,” the Rev. Dr. Emily Geoghegan, will provide pastoral leadership while Pastor Carol is away.
A complete schedule of the activities and events for both Pastor Carol and the church is available in the Great Room. Here are the highlights of the congregation’s activities. Please mark your calendar!
- October 14 (Friday): Launching Party at 6:30 p.m. in the Great Room, a start-of-sabbatical celebration with an nautical/islands theme, games, dancing, and snacks/beverages.
- October 16 (Sunday): Pastor Carol’s last day of worship at DCC before sabbatical, with a commissioning ceremony during our 9 a.m. service and preaching by Pastor Emily.
- October 28-30 (Friday-Sunday): Church retreat for all ages from Friday night through Sunday morning at Camp Sentinel in Tuftonboro, with Pastor Emily leading a Saturday session on Holy Spirit themes. [Note: On October 30, a lay-led service will take place at 9 a.m. in the DCC sanctuary for those unable to attend the retreat.]
- November 6 & 20; December 4, 11, 24; January 8: Pastor Emily leads worship and preaches at services on these Sundays at 9 a.m. and at the 5 p.m. service on Christmas Eve. All other worship services are lay led.
- November 20 and December 11: After worship at 10:15 a.m., Pastor Emily leads sessions on the Holy Spirit, breathing, mindfulness.
- January 21, 2017 (Saturday): Coming-About Party to celebrate completion of sabbatical (“coming about” is a sailing term for changing direction).
- January 22, 2017 (Sunday): Worship with Pastor Carol, looking at the Spirit’s work during sabbatical.
The church office will be open Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 a.m. till noon throughout the summer. Pastor Carol and Angel will be in the office lots of other times as well; just call first to coordinate.