The church’s food booth will be open for this year’s Deerfield Fair (September 29 through October 2) and Ham Fest (October 14 and 15). Come help out then, and also drop by for cleaning on Sunday, September 25 (noon to 3 p.m.). The booth funds DCC’s capital reserve account, which has been tapped lately due to of several building repairs. Come help us raise money to keep our beautiful church property in good working order. If you can help out please contact Jennifer Hurley (firstname.lastname@example.org or 340-5168). Thank you!
Remember that our church does NOT have worship in our sanctuary on the weekend of the Deerfield Fair. In the past we’ve led worship at the fair, but this year is different: On October 2 at 8:30 a.m. on the fairgrounds, DCC is sponsoring a time of music by a group from the Seacoast area: The Funky Divas of Gospel. Hope to see you there! [NOTE: The time is indeed 8:30, not 9 a.m., as was printed in the newsletter.]
SABBATICAL SET FOR Oct. 17 – Jan. 21
Originally planned for this past spring, sabbatical had to be postponed due to Pastor Carol breaking her arm in February. Now she has healed after surgery and the necessary adjustments in the schedule and budget have been approved by the Lilly Endowment Clergy Renewal Grant, which is funding the sabbatical activities for both the pastor and church members. New dates for sabbatical are October 17, 2016, through January 21, 2017. Our “Navigator,” the Rev. Dr. Emily Geoghegan, will provide pastoral leadership while Pastor Carol is away.
A complete schedule of the activities and events for both Pastor Carol and the church is available in the Great Room. Here are the highlights of the congregation’s activities. Please mark your calendar!
- October 14 (Friday): Launching Party at 6:30 p.m. in the Great Room, a start-of-sabbatical celebration with an nautical/islands theme, games, dancing, and snacks/beverages.
- October 16 (Sunday): Pastor Carol’s last day of worship at DCC before sabbatical, with a commissioning ceremony during our 9 a.m. service and preaching by Pastor Emily.
- October 28-30 (Friday-Sunday): Church retreat for all ages from Friday night through Sunday morning at Camp Sentinel in Tuftonboro, with Pastor Emily leading a Saturday session on Holy Spirit themes. [Note: On October 30, a lay-led service will take place at 9 a.m. in the DCC sanctuary for those unable to attend the retreat.]
- November 6 & 20; December 4, 11, 24; January 8: Pastor Emily leads worship and preaches at services on these Sundays at 9 a.m. and at the 5 p.m. service on Christmas Eve. All other worship services are lay led.
- November 20 and December 11: After worship at 10:15 a.m., Pastor Emily leads sessions on the Holy Spirit, breathing, mindfulness.
- January 21, 2017 (Saturday): Coming-About Party to celebrate completion of sabbatical (“coming about” is a sailing term for changing direction).
- January 22, 2017 (Sunday): Worship with Pastor Carol, looking at the Spirit’s work during sabbatical.