Join us for a “Coming About Party” Saturday, January 21 to welcome Pastor Carol back from her three month long sabbatical! The festivities begin at 6:30 p.m. Call the church for further information.
On October 12, one church in Finland began ringing it’s bells at 5p.m. in protest of the continued destruction of the 3000 year old city of Aleppo. The bells are a demand to end the killings and devastation in that city. This organic movement has led to church bells ringing at hundreds of churches around the world at 5pm each day. The bells will ring until October 24, United Nations Day.
Deerfield Community Church will join with other churches around the world. Starting today, October 18 until October 24 our church bells will ring at 5 p.m.
We continue to pray for peace and hold those affected by this terrible war in our hearts.
The church’s food booth will be open for this year’s Deerfield Fair (September 29 through October 2) and Ham Fest (October 14 and 15). Come help out then, and also drop by for cleaning on Sunday, September 25 (noon to 3 p.m.). The booth funds DCC’s capital reserve account, which has been tapped lately due to of several building repairs. Come help us raise money to keep our beautiful church property in good working order. If you can help out please contact Jennifer Hurley (firstname.lastname@example.org or 340-5168). Thank you!
Remember that our church does NOT have worship in our sanctuary on the weekend of the Deerfield Fair. In the past we’ve led worship at the fair, but this year is different: On October 2 at 8:30 a.m. on the fairgrounds, DCC is sponsoring a time of music by a group from the Seacoast area: The Funky Divas of Gospel. Hope to see you there! [NOTE: The time is indeed 8:30, not 9 a.m., as was printed in the newsletter.]
SABBATICAL SET FOR Oct. 17 – Jan. 21
Originally planned for this past spring, sabbatical had to be postponed due to Pastor Carol breaking her arm in February. Now she has healed after surgery and the necessary adjustments in the schedule and budget have been approved by the Lilly Endowment Clergy Renewal Grant, which is funding the sabbatical activities for both the pastor and church members. New dates for sabbatical are October 17, 2016, through January 21, 2017. Our “Navigator,” the Rev. Dr. Emily Geoghegan, will provide pastoral leadership while Pastor Carol is away.
A complete schedule of the activities and events for both Pastor Carol and the church is available in the Great Room. Here are the highlights of the congregation’s activities. Please mark your calendar!
- October 14 (Friday): Launching Party at 6:30 p.m. in the Great Room, a start-of-sabbatical celebration with an nautical/islands theme, games, dancing, and snacks/beverages.
- October 16 (Sunday): Pastor Carol’s last day of worship at DCC before sabbatical, with a commissioning ceremony during our 9 a.m. service and preaching by Pastor Emily.
- October 28-30 (Friday-Sunday): Church retreat for all ages from Friday night through Sunday morning at Camp Sentinel in Tuftonboro, with Pastor Emily leading a Saturday session on Holy Spirit themes. [Note: On October 30, a lay-led service will take place at 9 a.m. in the DCC sanctuary for those unable to attend the retreat.]
- November 6 & 20; December 4, 11, 24; January 8: Pastor Emily leads worship and preaches at services on these Sundays at 9 a.m. and at the 5 p.m. service on Christmas Eve. All other worship services are lay led.
- November 20 and December 11: After worship at 10:15 a.m., Pastor Emily leads sessions on the Holy Spirit, breathing, mindfulness.
- January 21, 2017 (Saturday): Coming-About Party to celebrate completion of sabbatical (“coming about” is a sailing term for changing direction).
- January 22, 2017 (Sunday): Worship with Pastor Carol, looking at the Spirit’s work during sabbatical.
The church office will be open Tuesdays and Thursdays 9 a.m. till noon throughout the summer. Pastor Carol and Angel will be in the office lots of other times as well; just call first to coordinate.
DCC and Rockingham County 4-H are joining together to offer the Summer Fun program, with crafts, cooking, games, and rocketry at our church from 1 to 3 p.m. every Wednesday in July. Summer Fun is free and is for any Deerfield child entering 1st through 4th grade in the fall. Registration is required, so pick up a brochure/form in the Great Room. Also, please help spread the word. Finally, volunteers are needed to help with the program. Interested? Call Sue Robertson (942-8325).
During worship on June 19, people from the congregation will share for 3-5 minutes each about how God’s love is/was made manifest through their father or another male mentor. How has your relationship with this person had an impact on your faith, or how has he been an example of God’s own nature being expressed through a human being. If you’d like to speak, please contact Worship Deacon Cindy Bradley (email@example.com; 736-4793).
The June Men’s Breakfast on June 18 will be held at 8 a.m. in the Great Room. Join others for great food and even better fellowship! Please RSVP to Robbie Robertson by the end of today (firstname.lastname@example.org or 942-8325). This is an adult breakfast.
Holiday Fair Coordinator Needed Do you enjoy the Holiday Fair every November? Do you want to see it continue to raise money for various outreach projects, using income generated from table rentals and wreath sales? If so, please consider volunteering to become the coordinator. It’s not too early to think about it; planning and contacting vendors start in July. Please contact Cindy Bradley if you’d like to continue this DCC tradition (email@example.com or 736-4793).
On May 22 we’ll be celebrating the children and youth of our church during worship, as well as recognizing adult leaders of church school, youth group, and adult small groups. Outdoors after worship, games and group activities will take place till a little before 11 a.m., and then all will feast on grilled hotdogs and hamburgers. To help with the meal and/or bring food, please sign up in the Great Room. By the way, the last official day of church school, youth group, and small groups is May 15.